Happy Monday dear friends. Hope you had a lovely weekend. I intended to post this yummy cheesy recipe over the weekend but with a teething baby, me not feeling well and a million errands to run my laptop remained untouched. My darling friend, Rozie shared with us this yummy recipe of a quiche she made for her lovely mum who is obsessed with Java Coffee House yummy quiches. Have a yummy kickstart to a great week ahead.
CHEESY SPINACH AND MUSHROOM QUICHE
1 pie crust (Mealy pie dough), homemade or store bought
1½ cups Heavy Cream/Milk
8 oz. (227g) Cheddar Cheese, shredded
½ teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
¼ teaspoon Pepper
1 tablespoon Butter
½ tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 oz. (227g) Mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
6 oz. (170g) Baby Spinach
1. Scale the dough if using homemade pie dough
8 oz. (227g) for 9-inch bottom crusts
6 oz. (175g) for 8-inch bottom crusts
2. Dust your work station and rolling pin lightly with flour. Too much dusting flour toughens the dough, so use no more than needed to prevent sticking.
Instead of rolling the dough directly on the bench, you may roll it out on a flour dusted plastic film. Rolling on this makes it easier to turn it out into the pan.
3. Flatten the dough lightly and roll it out to a uniform ⅛ inch (3mm) thickness. Use even strokes and roll from the centre outward in all directions. Lift the dough frequently to make sure it is not sticking. Form a perfect circle.
4. Place the dough in a pan. To lift the dough without breaking it, roll it lightly around the rolling pin. Allow the dough to drop into the pan and press it into the corners without stretching it. There should be no air bubbles between the dough and the pan.
5. Place the pie shell in the refrigerator until needed. This prevents shrinkage.
6. Whisk together eggs, salt, pepper and heavy cream/milk; stir in cheese set aside
7. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter, add olive oil. Add mushrooms, cook until golden, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Toss in spinach and cook until just wilted. Allow mixture to cool for about 10 minutes.
8. Stir the vegetable mixture into the egg mixture and pour into pre baked pie crust.
9. Place the pie on the lower level of an oven preheated to 220 . Reduce the heat to 190 after 10 minutes to avoid overcooking and curdling the custard.
10.Bake until the filling is set about 40-45 minutes
11. Serve hot or cold.
Mealy Pie Dough
125g Water, cold
1. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the shortening.
2. Rub the shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
3. Dissolve salt in water
4. Add the water to the flour mixture. Mix very gently, just until the water is absorbed. Do not overwork the dough.
5. Place the dough in a pan, cover with plastic film and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
6. Scale portions of dough as needed.
NOTE: Shortening is the most popular fat for pie crusts because it has the right plastic consistency to produce a flaky crust. It is firm and mouldable enough to make an easily worked dough. Butter contributes excellent flavour to pie pastry, but it is not frequently used in volume production for two reasons: It is expensive, and it melts very easily, making the dough difficult to work.